Luke Cage: Netflix series has been cancelled

Following up on the Iron Fist cancellation earlier this week, Netflix have pulled the plug on another of their superhero series – Luke Cage will not be returning for a third season.

In their joint statement Marvel and Netflix said, “Unfortunately, Marvel’s Luke Cage will not return for a third season,” they said on Friday. “Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is grateful to the dedicated showrunner, writers, cast and crew who brought Harlem’s Hero to life for the past two seasons, and to all the fans who have supported the series.”

Word is that the cancellation was something of a shock as showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker has been hard at work preparing for a third season. Allegedly, Coker and his writing team delivered first drafts of the first half of the third season this week and Netflix and Marvel were unhappy. Cue some ‘creative differences’ and a third outing for the unbreakable hero is a no go.

Daredevil, which just premiered its third season, The Punisher and Jessica Jones remain with second and third seasons for the latter two currently in the pipeline.

We’ll keep you updated on this.

Deadline