2entertain have announced the extras for the upcoming 2-disc DVD release of classic 1976 Doctor Who story ‘Seeds Of Doom‘.
Starring Tom Baker as the fourth Doctor, the DVD will be available from 9th August 2010, priced £29.99. Amongst the specially-created content is a ‘making of’ with cast and crew and an audio commentary from the main cast including Tom Baker and John Challis.
“It’s 20th Century Earth and a research team based in the Antarctic unwittingly digs up two mysterious pods which have lain buried in the snow for twenty thousand years. Yet the identity of the pods is no mystery to the Doctor, they are Krynoid, a hostile, alien species of life. The Doctor’s fears are confirmed when one of the pods opens and attacks a scientist.
“Unfortunately, the Doctor is not the only one interested in the seeds – an insane millionaire, Harrison Chase, is desperate to get his hands on a pod at any cost – even murder. But why? As the remaining pod hurtles to England, splitting open to reveal a ferocious Krynoid carnivore, can the Doctor arrest its development? As its strength grows every moment, it threatens to turn Earth’s vegetation hostile too. Its germination could jeopardize the security of mankind itself…”
– Commentary with actors Tom Baker, John Challis, Kenneth Gilbert and Michael McStay, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, writer Robert Banks Stewart, replacement designer Roger Murray-Leach and Joggs Camfield (son of the director, the late Douglas Camfield).
– Isolated Music (option to watch the episode with just the music score).
– ‘PodShock’ (a 37-minute look back at the making of the story, with actors John Challis, Kenneth Gilbert and Ian Fairbairn, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, writer Robert Banks Stewart, production assistant Graeme Harper, original designer Jeremy Bear, design assistant Jan Spoczynski, visual effects designer Richard Conway and composer Geoffrey Burgon).
– ‘Now And Then’ (the long-running series visits Athelhampton House, a quarry in Reigate and the BBC Television Centre to explore the locations used in ‘The Seeds Of Doom’).
– ‘Playing In The Green Cathedral’ (composer Geoffrey Burgon talks about his involvement in Doctor Who).
– ‘So What Do You Do Exactly?’ (Graeme Harper explains what the job of a Production Assistant or a Production Unit Manager entails).
– ‘Stripped For Action: The Fourth Doctor’ (the series on the Doctor’s comic-strip adventures looks at the portrayal of the fourth Doctor in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine’s regular graphic stories, featuring former DWM editors Dez Skinn, Gary Russell and Alan Barnes, writer Pat Mills, artist Dave Gibbons and consultant Jeremy Bentham).
– Trail and continuity (an off-air trail for the story’s first episode and continuity announcements for its fifth).
– Photo gallery (production, design and publicity photos from the story).
– A trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
– Radio Times listings and Douglas Camfield’s paper edit for a compilation version of the story in Adobe PDF format.